Spätzle is a special type of “Swabian pasta” that is enjoyed with sauces and gravies as well as incorporated into a variety of different dishes. I personally love eating them with sautéed onions, gravy and vegan schnitzel. It is so easy to make homemade Spätzle as you only need 5 simple ingredients.
What do you need to make homemade Spätzle?
- Chickpea Flour: I find that this recipe works best with chickpea flour.
- Tapioca Starch: You could also use arrowroot starch or potato starch.
- Oat Milk: Any type of plant milk would work well with this recipe, just make sure it’s gluten-free.
- Salt: To bring out the flavours.
- Turmeric: Spätzle are usually made with eggs, so the turmeric adds a nice colour that the eggs would normally provide.
This Homemade Spätzle Recipe is:
- Quick and easy
- Ready in 20 minutes
- The perfect side dish
More vegan lunch and dinner recipes to try:
- Chili Sin Carne Rice Bowl
- One-Pot Lentil Pasta with Kale
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta in Creamy Tomato Sauce
- 3 Ingredient Quinoa Pizza Base with Fried Vegetables
- Creamy One-Pot Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
- Red Lentil Bolognese
If you try this easy vegan Spätzle recipe, feel free to leave me a comment or star rating. And if you want to share a photo of your creation on Instagram, please tag me @analabod because I would love to see them! 😊
- 1 High Speed Blender optional
- 150 g chickpea flour
- 80 g tapioca starch
- 180 ml oat milk gluten-free
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pinch turmeric
- In a large bowl, combine chickpea flour, tapioca starch, salt and turmeric. Then gradually pour in the gluten-free oat milk. Whisk until smooth. The batter should be thick.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Then spread some of the batter onto a small wooden cutting board in a thin layer and dip it in the hot water for just a second.
- Using a knife, scrape off long, thin strips of the dough into the boiling water. Allow the Spätzle to cook for about 3 minutes. Then use a spoon to remove them from the pot and rinse them with cold water so they don't stick.
Serve the Spätzle with sautéed mushrooms, onions, gravy, vegan meatballs or vegan schnitzel. You can also pan-fry the Spätzle briefly with a little oil and salt. Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy.
- These Spätzle are the perfect side dish.